« My Little Artist | Main | Towel Tree for the Bathroom »

My Repurposed/Reclaimed Pallet Headboard

It started with Pinterest. I quickly became addicted to finding things I liked and pinning them to my board. Then I would visit the things I pinned and find out how other people completed these projects with the tutorials they had online. This research allowed me to have an increase in confidence. I thought to myself, "If this 'woman in Alaska' can build a headboard from pallets, so can I!" And so I began.

I loosely followed the tutorials of two women (you can find their instructions here and here). Initially I wanted to trim out my headboard, but I didn't have one piece of pallet wood long enough to trim out the long end, and I liked it without trim, so I left it as-is. I began by adjusting the measurements to work for the bed we have in our guest bedroom.

I grabbed some pallets from work and got busy the week my husband was in Germany. I spent almost every night in the garage tackling the super hard project of tearing apart pallets with pry bars, hammers and sweat and bullets. I learned quickly that I grit my teeth when something is difficult because my jaw began to get sore. The destruction seemed to take forever. Probably because I wasn't quite sure what I was doing and because I was trying to be careful with my wood. I hated it when I worked so hard to tear out staples and nails and then on the last end, I'd split the board!

I probably didn't do this job properly, but it is basically a frame covered with pallet boards. I did cut he pallets for the frame, because I didn't care about the nail holes being in the back, and cutting allowed me to keep things straight. Notice I said straight, not square. I didn't square anything up, because I really don't know how. I just eyeball things and I'm usually pretty accurate, and this time was no different.

I didn't take any tutorial/how-to photos because there are a gazillion blogs on the internet that have great plans complete with photos. I'll just show you the finished piece and tell you I spent $25 on this project - a can of ZAR Fruitwood stain and some brackets/braces for the board on the back side and finishing nails for the boards on the front. Yes, the boards are held on with finishing nails ** gasp ** I know and I said above I probably didn't do this job properly!